Movie Review: Barfi!

I'm not a huge movie buff, let alone a 'bollywood' movie buff; I don't get excited about watching a movie unless the reviews are fantastic  - I just don't enjoy Hindi movies anymore because there's always something that manages to turn you off - either the story-line, or acting, or plagiarism or just something that you sort of start rolling your eyes at, and then the whole focus is shifted.

The last movie that I remember actually watching and thoroughly enjoying is Rockstar.  Also, my sense of 'Cinema' is quite different than that being offered by Bollywood and I guess that's why I thoroughly enjoyed Barfi!. I maybe biased as well because I'm so in love with Ranbir Kapoor - he's such a fine actor and oh so charming.
Barfi is a story about a boy named Murphy, whom everyone calls Barfi; he is always ready with a prank up his sleeve.  He's quite the charmer, especially with the ladies.  In Darjeeling, Barfi is the talk of town, even though he can neither speak nor listen.  His bitter-sweet relationship with two beautiful young women is what this story is all about (Courtesy Wikipedia)

Barfi offers everything that a good Cinema experience offers: real characters, genuine relationships and story and beautiful music.  It's funny, sweet, emotional and just a perfect balance of a beautiful cinematography thanks to Darjeeling & Kolkota (set in 70s)

Needless to say, Ranbir Kapoor steals the show and your hearts as you walk away after watching this beautiful piece of art.  Ilena D'Cruz as Shruti is beautiful and just perfect; but Priyanka Chopra, who's usually one of my favorites failed to impress - I personally did not think she was 'natural' as she didn't let the character do the talking - she came off trying way too hard.

All in all, loved the whole experience and can't wait to watch it again.